Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The time I made time to ride a bike

Sometimes, life requires me to wake up early.

Like. Really. Early.

So early that even the car-crazy LA people around me haven't started their morning commute to work. No one is on the road. I can ride around on my bike without fear.

It feels good, once I convince myself to get out of bed.At 5:30am, my neighborhood smells like flowers. It's so quiet that I become conscious of the sound of my breath and heart beat. It's still cold here in the mornings, and it reminds me of autumn on the East Coast.

When I ride closer to the Marina, the air changes to a damp, spicy eucalyptus smell. It reminds me of Australia. Funny how scents just take you back to another time and place.


I like making time for morning bike rides because it puts me back in touch with myself. I think I spend way too many hours staring at a computer screen. The thought of being computerless at work makes me panic-- how would I get anything done? It is tragic that our productivity-- and actually, life in general-- is so deeply dependent on technology. My kids will hate me, but if they're bored, they'll have to read a book, or play an instrument, or learn a sport. No video games. No Facebook. There is something to be said about learning who you are at your core, before plugging into some alternative reality. There is so much to life beyond technology.

I suppose this is what it is to be a 20-something-- still figuring out that life does not equal work, that you're not your job or your instagram. I've never really needed to remind myself of such things, but it's strange to see how easy it is to fall under that illusion. While I certainly care about my current job, it does not define me, and it should not take over my life. Especially since I've got big plans ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment